Saturday, August 8, 2009

Mystery lifts its veil ...

There are times when Holy Mystery manifests itself to us.  Dying is one of those times.  And interestingly, the metaphor of death or dying often describes the entry of Holy Presence - into our midst - beyond the veil of normal seeing.  As if one had happened upon a boundary between the world of sense and the world of spirit:



Photo ~ Courtesy of brotherjohn OED

This story was told to me by a witness, whose veracity I can vouch for.  She sat behind me in a seminar a few years ago, and related the events within days of their occurrence.  Some months later, via email, she assured me that my recollection of her story was accurate.  It is a very simple story.  Yet profound.

My source, a social worker employed by a home hospice, coordinates chaplaincy visits for individuals receiving hospice care at home.  The hospice serves anyone within a county-wide area, who is dying at home.  Thus, nothing out of the ordinary was to be expected, when she went to the home of a dying patient, along with her supervisor - a man unknown to the patient.

As soon as she introduced her supervisor, the patient immediately said to him:  I didn't know that you knew ____."  And her supervisor's response was:  How do you know that I knew ____?  (Knew.... because ____ was dead.)

And the patient answered:  Well, he's sitting right there!  (pointing to thin air) And he just told me.

Now that is the story.

Make of it what you will.....

But the story is true:  My source is entirely credible. 

Something there is - which is way beyond our ken.  Something which the dying often give witness to.  Which spiritual traditions and sacred writings give witness to.  Something which manifests itself within holy individuals; and I have met some.  Something which can break through normal events - so they shine with mysterious translucence - as if a veil were momentarily lifted, as if one could see from one world into another Reality...  one which transcends our world entirely or marks it as mysteriously shot through with holiness.

2 comments:

Wormwood's Doxy said...

That post sent chills down my spine, TheraP. Thanks so much for sharing it. It gives me great comfort to think that I will see Terri-Lynn, other friends, and beloved family members on the other side of the divide.

I am a Christian, and I believe pretty strongly that there is SOMETHING after this life. And though I have no idea what it is, I believe that it will be good.

But I also believe that we have an obligation to bring the Kingdom of God to earth---and we do that by caring for the least among us, and loving our neighbors.

And that belief is the source of my political activism. I don't need anyone to share my religious beliefs, but I will continue to insist that we, as human beings, owe it to one another to be kind and generous. As you have been in helping to honor Terri-Lynn's memory. Bless you.

Pax,
Doxy

TheraP said...

I so agree with all your sentiments. It is privilege to share your tribute to Terri-Lynn.

Peace be with you.